School Fact Sheet
Grades: K - 8
Together, we prepare, challenge, and support adolescents for participation in society as respectful, responsible, lifelong learners.
- Demonstrate Respect
- Make Safe Choices
- Strive for Success
We are committed to high quality, developmentally appropriate, middle-level education characterized by:
- Quality work and relevant learning through challenging integrated curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
- Relationships that promote trust and safety (physical, emotional, and social) needed for learning and well being.
- Opportunities for all to succeed through core, exploratory, and co-curricular activities.
- Respectful partnerships through "heroic" customer service and communication.
- Development of personal responsibility and accountability through opportunities for significant choice and decisions related to learning.
- High expectations for all who are involved in middle level education.
- Every student will show at least one year’s growth in reading and math achievement.
- Improve writing achievement across all grade levels:
- Utilize OSWA and other profile data to evaluate growth, direct curriculum planning, and school improvement.
- Develop opportunities to assist individual students in specific areas of academic need and enrichment.
- Explore, research, and implement new strategies and programs to continue reading, math, and writing improvement in grades K-8.
- Provide new and increased opportunities for students to demonstrate their learning.
- Assess and enhance student motivation strategies.
- Provide age appropriate student recognition and incentives.
- Develop a closer connection between assessment and instruction.
- Increase the percentage of students making growth towards meeting and exceeding the state benchmark in science.
- Create a positive and nurturing school environment that respects individual differences and promotes student achievement.
Deep Creek-Damascus K-8 School is special because of the close partnership that is present with parents and community to support the education of the students.
Principal Lori Walter
Principal Lori Walter became the instructional leader of Deep Creek-Damascus K-8 School in 2005. Prior to joining the team at Deep Creek-Damascus, Principal Walter served as assistant principal at Dexter McCarty Middle School. Before that, she was an assistant principal at Gordon Russell Middle School.
Ms. Walter taught K-12 science, health and PE for 13 years, prior to beginning her administrative career.
Principal Walter earned her bachelor's degree from the University of Denver, her master's degree from Western Oregon, and her initial administrative credentials through Portland State.